God as seen in Mothers
There is a harmony and symmetry to scripture and the way in which God has chosen to be revealed in women and mothers is one of it’s greatest examples.
Creation, on at least one level, is the result of the Godhead celebrating Each Other through what was made. The greatest mutual honor was by investing in mankind clear depictions of Their nature.
That the Father is revealed and glorified in the person of men and fathers has long been understood from scripture, but what of women and mothers?
I believe it’s pretty clear that women and mothers intimately reveal the person, work and heart of the precious Holy Spirit.
In a day where everything gender related is under assault, we as Christians need to realize the assault is against God and image we bear as Their representatives.
One of the strongest illustrations of the persons and relationships within the Godhead as mirrored in human relationships is found in the words Jesus once spoke about the Spirit. He said that all manner of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven mankind – even words spoken against the Son of God Himself – but if anyone speaks against the Spirit of God it will not be forgiven them. This reminds me very much of the protection and honor and earthly fathers and sons naturally feel and express regarding their wives and mothers.
Consider with me the following attributes which scripture reveals regarding the Spirit of God and how it is so clearly seen in women and mothers…
- Comforter – though children indeed need the safety, love and support of their fathers, it isn’t a hard argument to make that the loving care and tender compassions of a mother are usually the first sought after in times of trouble, wounding and distress.
- Nurturer – Jesus Himself told the disciples not to lose heart or be troubled, because He was not leaving them comfortless orphans, but going to send them the Spirit of God.
- Educator – The Holy Spirit is the One in the Godhead Who leads and guides us as children in God’s house into all truth.
- Representor and reminder – The Spirit of God does not speak from personal authority, but represents the Father and reminds us of HIS words. How many children have heard the words, “You know what your father said.” or “Wait until your father gets home.”
- Yearning and jealous – though these may not seem like good attributes- in the right context they are healthy and right. No one yearns, expresses loving possessiveness of and is as jealous over their children quite like a mother.
- Encouraging – The Holy Spirit is also the spirit of prophecy and all prophecy points to Jesus and is given to edify, exhort and comfort…all of which works to our encouragement.
There are numerous ways in which we see God the Spirit represented in women and mothers and it is my prayer today that mothers become more aware of the image they bear – not only as God’s children, but as special representatives of the Spirit of God.
God has truly honored both men and women with the privilege of being Their image bearers… may we ALL do so with honor and integrity, seeking never to mar or taint the beauty of the image we bear or the presence we carry.
Happy Mother’s Day!
For more considerations of motherhood along this like please see – The Mothering Heart of the Holy Spirit