Series: Do we REALLY believe?
MESSAGE: Discussing Holiness & Soul Salvation
(Part 6 of Thinking through Suffering …a Dialogue)
Download – THOUGHTS & QUESTIONS
Discussing Holiness & Soul Salvation
This week we focused on questions 20-24 in our ‘Thoughts and Questions‘ list which is downloadable by the link above.
The questions we are looking at this week probe our understanding of the meaning and life application of holiness and soul salvation.
Again, our goal and intention in doing this is to allow this dialogue format to help us think through these questions and so help solidify much of what we have been teaching since the beginning of this year.
Key passages we’ve covered which touch on these topics:
- 2Cor. 4:6-11 – Suffering, Jesus formed in us
- Ephesians 1:1-11 – holy, blameless, in Christ, Created for good works
- Ephesians 1:19-22 – Temple, tabernacle, dwelling place
- Phil. 3:7-14 – Knowing Him, faith, maturity in Christ
- James 1:2-4 – Trials
- James 1:12-18 – Temptations, life
- James 2:18&20 – Faith, works
- 1Peter 1:6-9 – Trials, soul salvation, faith
- 1Peter 4:12-19 – Trials, glory, Christian suffering
- Heb. 10:13 – Temptations
- Heb. 10:35-39 – Need for faith, patience, life
- Heb. 12:1-14 – sin, weights, maturity, chastening, righteousness, holiness
One message which touched on MUCH of these things was ‘Suffering…who for the Joy’.
Thoughts & Questions:
20. What is holiness? Complete and undivided devotion to God. Its technical definition is “uncommon”, “other than”, separated or consecrated. How this is lived out – is loyalty and 100% devotion. These are relational terms which are not at all out of place in this topic since when there is a breakdown in loyalty – in other words, when we sin – God often returns to marital examples and phrases in His rebuking His people. James, addressing the Jewish Christians of the dispersion called them “adulterers” – this is because their lack of separation unto God WAS relational treason…it was adultery.
21. Write down a list of synonyms for holiness.
- Separation unto
- Justification (does not focus only on the act of God’s free grace in justifying sinners, but also the result of that justification, which makes them just and equips them to recognize the rights of God on his life.)
22. What does holiness have to do with a pure heart?
If our hearts are single in their devotion – they will be faithful, loyal, true and consecrated to God alone. The strict definition of Holy is “other than” so such devotion places one’s heart in a condition of being holy unto the Lord, which is completely “other than” the hearts of unbelievers.
23. What are some other ways of saying ‘soul salvation’?
(Example: Christ in you)
- Maturity in Christ
- Growing up spiritually
- Renewal of the mind
- Christ in you
- Conformity to Christ
- Obedience in character and action
24. What does faith have to do with the salvation of our souls?
It is the necessary avenue by which God does His perfecting work in you. We must Trust that His ways are best and so desire the full conformity of our thoughts and lives to it. We must NOT BE DECEIVED – but TRUST that every good and perfect gift is from Him. We must Trust in God’s power to complete our maturing work into Christ’s image against all evidence to the contrary. We must seek His active work in us and desire it MORE than we desire satisfying our earthly cravings. We must trust Him to cause us to will and do after His good pleasure.
This is a much overlooked, yet foundational doctrine of Christ. Those who are His, overcome the world and the faith that makes them His and the faith which overcome the world are one and the same.
1 John 5:1-5, “(1) Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves Him who begot also loves him who is begotten of Him. (2) By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. (3) For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. (4) For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. (5) Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?”
What are you believing? That He is reconciling my heart to His. Conforming my thoughts and desires to be like His. Convincing and convicting my heart until it yields in loving trust and surrender.
Why are you believing it? For my own good and His pleasure.
I hope this message will bless you richly…not because I taught it, but because it reveals Christ. He alone is our blessing and if in any way – whether big or small, 100% accurate or even just partially so – I have revealed our great God and Savior to you in a relationally knowable way, then this was time well spent on both our parts.
We at Living Grace Fellowship encourage you to place your trust in Jesus Christ, deliberately choosing Him and bowing the knee to Him as your Master and Lord, so as to come to realize Him as your Savior.
You have a special place in God’s family & kingdom. The fact that you exist… that you are His creation, says you were in His heart, you are His delight!
If you do not know Him, please reach out to us. Give us a call at the number located on every page of this website or use our ‘Contact Us‘ page. We would be deeply honored, if you gave us the privilege of introducing you to the Lord. Neither money nor attendance at our church will EVER be mentioned.
If you HAVE been spiritually fed by this ministry and WANT to give, we truly appreciate that and you may do so here, but please understand that all the outreaches of this ministry are FREE for you and anyone to enjoy at no cost.