Series: Doers of the Word
Message – 2017 in Review
2017 in Review…
We began 2017 with a word from God regarding ‘Being Doers’ of the word. We have learned so much here over the past few years…just looking back to 2015
I’ve taught you on…
- Abiding in the Vine
- Kingdom living
- Glorifying God
- The Power of the Gospel
- Being Living witnesses
- God’s power towards godliness
- Union with God
- Being Yoked with Christ
- A whole series on ‘by My Spirit’
- The difference between being judged and chastened
- Tithing and giving under the new covenant
…just to name a few.
…but as the scriptures say,“knowledge puffs up but love edifies”, 1Cor. 8:1.
So, in 2017 we set out eyes and ears upon learning how to be Doers of the Word beginning in James with a message entitled “Not Hearer’s Only”. Which is where we got our profession we said at the beginning of service…
Blessed am I
For I have eyes to see
and ears to hear
God’s Power in my life
to not just will
His good pleasure
in my life
From January 2017 to May 2017 we were kinda in prep for the REST of the year of 2017.
These lessons included:
- Deep and Honest Reverence towards God…
- The Tongue (what we say with our mouth and how it steers our life)
- Being Friendly with the World…it compromises your walk
- What is Your Mind Focused on…
- My Heart God’s Throne – glorify God in heart & body = His
- You want a Pillow or a Key…to seek comfort in the known or press on into the unknown.
- The Hungry Soul…it requires hunger… passion
- Drawing Near…its birth a call and an invitation
- Inciting Desire… using temptation as a template
- Beyond the Veil…holding on to hope
- Milk or Meat…growing by doing
- Brother’s Keeper…expand your interests
- Is Your Heart a House or a Home?…
To learn these lessons we worked through the first 4 chapters of James which addresses the importance of HOW YOU LIVE your life – are you simply a hearer or are you are doer of what you hear?
One of the first takeaways we learned was that it is not the hearers but the doers of the word who are blessed.
Working out you liberty from sin, your freedom to know and adore your creator… Your freedom from the shackles of sin to become like Him in all things. Like the dutiful son who stayed home in the prodigal parable… your obedience is also an investment in your own inheritance!
In James we learned that:
- We need to be quick to listen, and have ears tuned to His frequency.
- We need to be slow to speak (this is a REAL and genuine problem which is why we addressed the tongue) and even slower to get angry.
- The goal of this leg of the race (life) is right-standing with God – not just positional and “legally” but in our actions.
- We need to be living lives FILLED with good WORKS produced from our union with Him. Like branch & vine.
- Rom 9:23, “and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory,”
- Eph 2:10, “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.”
- When we hear and hear, but do not DO – we deceive our own hearts
James compared this to – looking into a mirror. Our consummate problem is forgetting what manner of people we are. The phrase was
“22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.
23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, they are like one observing there natural face in a mirror;
24 for they observe themselves, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of person they were.”
This had 3 primary meanings:
The solution was remembering and continuing.
This service had no notes since it was an open discussion…Blessings!
I hope this teaching will challenge you and encourage you to place your trust in the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.
You have a special place in God’s family & kingdom. If you do not know Him, please use our ‘Contact Us‘ page and reach out so we may have the privilege of introducing you to the Lord. Neither money nor attendance at our church will be mentioned.
If you have been spiritually fed by this ministry and wish to give, we truly appreciate that and you may do so here, but all outreaches of this ministry are FREE for you and anyone to enjoy at no cost.