Message – Deception, Persecution & Loss
Series: Thru the Bible – Genesis 20-21
Deception, Persecution and Loss
- Abraham does it again – he acts deceitfully.
- Evidently Sarah is still HOT.
- God warns Abimelech in a dream.
- God closed all the wombs in his house until this was rectified.
- Abimelech apparently “knew about” God. Of course, remember Shem was still alive and the dispersion was still a fairly recent event.
- Notice, there seems to be a inner knowing that the true God of all the earth would NOT do wrong and destroy a nation that is innocent.
- God kept Abimelech from Sarah and thus from sin.
- God identifies Abraham as a prophet.
- Even though Abimelech was innocent here – God still required Abraham to pray for him…what does this teach us about God’s relationship to Abraham?
- What is He attempting to instill in him and teach him?
- Abimelech goes above and beyond – settle on any of my land that you want and he gave 1,000 pieces of silver for Sarah’s honor.
- V1. The Lord did FOR Sarah what He as promised.
- V8. circumcised on the 8th day
- Gen 21:6-7,
“(6) Sarah said, “God has made me laugh, and everyone who hears will laugh with me.” (7) She also said, “Who would have told Abraham that Sarah would nurse children? Yet I have borne him a son in his old age.”
- A feast the day Isaac was weaned.
- Ishmael mocked him.
- Sarah got ticked!
- Gen 21:10-13, “(10) So she said to Abraham, “Drive out this slave with her son, for the son of this slave will not be a co-heir with my son Isaac!” (11) Now this was a very difficult thing for Abraham because of his son. (12) But God said to Abraham, “Do not be concerned about the boy and your slave. Whatever Sarah says to you, listen to her, because your offspring will be traced through Isaac. (13) But I will also make a nation of the slave’s son because he is your offspring.”
- EARLY IN THE MORNING!
- Hagar wandered in the wilderness – ran out of water and sat down to die.
- God shows up! He hears Ishmael and speaks to Hagar.
- Ishamel’s descendants are more Egyptian than Chaldean (v.21)
- A Treaty with Abimelech – Gen 21:22-34, “(22) At that time Abimelech, with Phicol the commander of his army, said to Abraham, “God is with you in everything you do. (23) Now swear to me here by God that you will not break an agreement with me or with my children and descendants. As I have kept faith with you, so you will keep faith with me and with the country where you are a resident alien.” (24) And Abraham said, “I swear it.” (25) But Abraham complained to Abimelech because of the water well that Abimelech’s servants had seized. (26) Abimelech replied, “I don’t know who did this thing. You didn’t report anything to me, so I hadn’t heard about it until today.” (27) Then Abraham took sheep and cattle and gave them to Abimelech, and the two of them made a covenant. (28) But Abraham had set apart seven ewe lambs from the flock. (29) And Abimelech said to Abraham, “Why have you set apart these seven ewe lambs?” (30) He replied, “You are to accept the seven ewe lambs from my hand so that this act will serve as my witness that I dug this well.” (31) Therefore that place was called Beer-sheba because it was there that the two of them swore an oath. (32) After they had made a covenant at Beer-sheba, Abimelech and Phicol, the commander of his army, left and returned to the land of the Philistines. (33) Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beer-sheba, and there he worshiped the LORD, the Everlasting God. (34) And Abraham lived as a foreigner in the land of the Philistines for many days.”
There is much more information in the audio/video of the actual message. I hope you listen, learn and enjoy!
I hope this teaching will challenge you and encourage you to place your trust in the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.
You have a special place in God’s family & kingdom. If you do not know Him, please use our ‘Contact Us‘ page and reach out so we may have the privilege of introducing you to the Lord. Neither money nor attendance at our church will be mentioned.
If you have been spiritually fed by this ministry and wish to give, we truly appreciate that and you may do so here, but all outreaches of this ministry are FREE for you and anyone to enjoy at no cost.